NXP and partners test advanced V2X application scenarios
- NXP and partners will showcase V2X-compatible prototypes at the ITS World Congress in Hamburg, including a V2X-compatible smart electric bike prototype from high-end manufacturer Riese & MÃ¼ller
- V2X electronics can help protect bikes and other road users from accidents
- NXP Launches New Application Processor for Advanced V2X and IIoT Applications
HAMBURG, Germany, October 06, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – World ITS Congress – NXPÂ® Semiconductors has announced that it will present new security scenarios made possible by vehicle-to-vehicle communication (Vehicle-to-X or V2X) at this year’s ITS World Congress in Hamburg. NXP will work with partners such as high-end manufacturer Riese & MÃ¼ller, to highlight better protection for vulnerable road users, new V2X application scenarios designed to help prevent traffic accidents and demonstrations electric bike safety. NXP’s V2X technology is based on 802.11p, a communications standard also known as DSRC (Dedicated Short-Range Communication). Optimized for automobiles, 802.11p enables vehicles, road infrastructure and other road users to exchange information in real time.
Each year, more than 1.3 million people are killed in road accidents around the world and more than 50 percent of fatalities are cyclists, pedestrians and motorcyclists. Technologies like V2X and driver assistance systems can significantly help reduce these numbers and are already used as standard in some passenger car models today.
To demonstrate how the safety of road users can be improved, NXP and Riese & MÃ¼ller have built a prototype smart electric bicycle. The demonstration combines NXP’s RoadLINK Â® automotive qualified DSRC modem and Hardware Secure Element IC for V2X applications, with the Cohda Wireless on-board unit. The setup allows the e-bike to transmit data about its position, speed and direction of travel to other nearby V2X compatible vehicles that could pose a potential hazard to the rider. The module calculates distances between road users and changes in position within seconds. In a dangerous situation, the cyclist and the driver of a car would receive a timely collision warning.
âEveryone on the road deserves to be safe, from the student on a bicycle to the road worker and those in premium vehicles. The quest begins by enabling vehicles and road users to communicate in real time and V2X addresses this need by connecting infrastructure and road users, “said Huanyu Gu, senior director of ADAS product marketing at NXP.” V2X can connect and inform a vast network of e-bikes, e-scooters, breakdown assistance vehicles and even construction site lighting to create a safety net for all who share the roads. “
Additional V2X Product News
To drive the expansion of the V2X ecosystem, NXP also announced the next step of innovation – the launch of the new i.MX 8XLite application processor. The product is intended for secure V2X and IIoT applications and is capable of simultaneously handling very complex cryptographic and telematic data. You can find more information about this announcement here.
NXP at the ITS World Congress in Hamburg from October 11 to 15 Hall B5, Booth B5302:
- V2X: electric bike with V2X and radar (SmartMicro), VOI electric scooter, ADAC light bar
- RFID-based automated payment with Shell and Omega
- SigFox low cost smart asset tracker
- Plus, explore our interactive tech showroom of over 40 app-based demos
Hamburg city showcases that showcase NXP’s V2X include:
- Ford of Europe, Kopernikus, Continental, Cohda Wireless and NXP present the future of automated valet parking at Elbphilharmonie Hamburg. NXP V2X technology inside the car and in the parking garage infrastructure allows the Ford electric vehicle to park and recharge – without human intervention
- BiDiMoVe (Two-way multimodal network): priority prioritization of public traffic at traffic lights, including a new danger warning system
- Green4transPORT: dynamic traffic management, including intelligent traffic light control to reduce carbon emissions
NXP V2X technology in action:
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors NV (NASDAQ: NXPI) enables secure connections for a smarter world, delivering solutions that make life easier, better and safer. As a global leader in secure connectivity solutions for embedded applications, NXP is driving innovation in the automotive, industrial and IoT, mobile and communications infrastructure markets. Drawing on more than 60 years of combined experience and expertise, the company has approximately 29,000 employees in more than 30 countries and achieved sales of $ 8.61 billion in 2020. Find out more more, go to www.nxp.com.
NXP and the NXP logo are trademarks of NXP BV All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Â© 2021 NXP BV
For more information, please contact:
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at https://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/05894635-5be3-437d-a8ca-90f266faf802