Franklin, Brown, Clifford and Mustipher to represent Penn State at Big Ten Football Media Days 2022
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pennsylvania. – The head coach james franklinsenior safety Ji’Ayir Brownsenior quarterback in red shirt Sean Clifford and senior defensive tackle PJ Mustipher will represent Penn State at the 50th Annual Big Ten Kickoff in Indianapolis on Wednesday, July 27.
Franklin, a 27-year football coaching veteran, was named Penn State’s 16th football head coach on Jan. 11, 2014, and is entering his 12th season as collegiate head coach. Franklin’s head coaching career record is 91-49 and is one of five active FBS coaches to lead his team to a bowling game in each of his first nine seasons as head coach.
Under Franklin’s leadership, Penn State has finished in the top 12 in college football’s Final Playoff standings in four of the past six seasons, secured berths in three New Year’s games with two wins, and won the Big Championship. Ten 2016. Franklin guided the Nittany Lions to an 86% pass rate, a perfect single-year APR of 1,000 for the 2018-19 school year, and record class performance.
Ji’Ayir Brown Sr. S 5-11 208 Trenton, NJ Trenton Central
- Tied for the nation’s lead in steals (6) in 2021.
- Named a third team All-Big Ten honored by coaches and honorable mention by the media.
- Had 73 tackles (61 solo) to go along with six interceptions, five pass breakups, two fumble recoveries, one forced fumble and one tackle for loss.
- Participated in eight takeaways (six interceptions, two fumble recoveries).
- Recorded 112 return yards on six interceptions.
- The six picks were the most by a Penn State player since Anthony Scirrotto also had six in 2006.
- Became the first Nittany Lion with six interceptions and two fumble recoveries in a season since Alan Zemaitis in 2005 (six interceptions, two misses recovered).
- Had an 87-yard interception return for a touchdown at Maryland (11/6), the fifth-longest interception return in school history.
- Had two interceptions against Arkansas in the Outback Bowl (1/1), tying a Penn State Bowl record.
Sean Clifford R-Sr. QB 6-2 212 Cincinnati, Ohio St. Xavier
- Played in 38 career games, making 33 starts.
- Is one of three Penn State players to reach 8,000 total rushing yards and one of three PSU quarterbacks to eclipse 7,500 career passing yards.
- Sits as Penn State’s all-time leader in completion percentage (.603).
- Ranks second in PSU in career passing touchdowns (62), third in passes (7,839), completions (607) and passing efficiency (141.2), fourth in attempts (1 006), tied for seventh in yards per pass attempt (7.8), eighth in lowest interception percentage (2.49) and 10th in passing touchdown percentage (6.16) and wins as a starting quarterback (21).
- Is third in school history in 300-yard passing games (7) and 200-yard passing games (19).
- Among Penn State quarterbacks, he’s third all-time at PSU in rushing yards (897) and tied for sixth in rushing touchdowns (10).
- Is second all-time in program history in total career yards (8,736) and touchdowns responsible for (72).
- Has 26 career games with multiple touchdown passes, including 12 with three or more touchdowns and three with four or more.
- Has 16 career games with multi-pass touchdown halves and nine games with multi-pass TD quarterbacks.
- Thrown for at least 250 passing yards and three passing touchdowns in eight career games.
- Has six career touchdown passes of 70 yards or more.
- Completed 105 career passes of 20 yards or more.
DT PJ Mustipher Sr. DT 6-4 321 Owings Mills, Maryland McDonogh School
- Named second team All-Big Ten by coaches and honorable mention by media.
- Named among the winners of the AP All-Big Ten first-team selection.
- Earned All-Big Ten academic honors.
- Won team’s Ridge Riley Memorial Award.
- Named Rotary Lombardi Award semi-finalist and Lott IMPACT Trophy quarter-finalist.
- Made six starts.
- Was elected team captain.
- Had 21 tackles (16 solo) to go along with three tackles for loss and a sack.
Once again, Big Ten Network will broadcast both days of the event live on BTN and the FOX Sports app.
For more information on Nittany Lion Club membership and reserving new season tickets for the 2022 Penn State Football season presented by PSECU, as well as club seating at Beaver Stadium, fans can visit www.PSUnrivaled .com, call 1-800-NITTANY weekdays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
More than 5,300 new subscriptions have already been sold for the 2022 campaign.