Clifford named to O’Brien Prize watch list
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pennsylvania. – Penn State redshirt senior quarterback Sean Clifford was named to the Davey O’Brien Award Watch List. The award is given annually to the outstanding college football quarterback.
Compiled by a subset of Davey O’Brien’s National Selection Committee, this year’s roster was selected based on career player performance and expectations heading into the 2022 college football season. Applicants must have already started at least one game at an NCAA Division I institution.
The National Quarterback Davey O’Brien Award is given annually to the nation’s top college quarterback and is the oldest and most prestigious national award. The 46th Annual Davey O’Brien Awards Dinner honoring the winner will be held on Monday, February 20, 2023 at the Fort Worth Club in Fort Worth, TX.
Sean Clifford R-Sr. QB 6-2 212 Cincinnati, Ohio St. Xavier
- Played in 38 career games, making 33 starts.
- Is one of three Penn State players to reach 8,000 total rushing yards and one of three PSU quarterbacks to eclipse 7,500 career passing yards.
- Sits as Penn State’s all-time leader in completion percentage (.603).
- Ranks second in PSU in career passing touchdowns (62), third in passes (7,839), completions (607) and passing efficiency (141.2), fourth in attempts (1 006), tied for seventh in yards per pass attempt (7.8), eighth in lowest interception percentage (2.49) and 10th in passing touchdown percentage (6.16) and wins as a starting quarterback (21).
- Is third in school history in 300-yard passing games (7) and 200-yard passing games (19).
- Among Penn State quarterbacks, he’s third all-time at PSU in rushing yards (897) and tied for sixth in rushing touchdowns (10).
- Is second all-time in program history in total career yards (8,736) and touchdowns responsible for (72).
- Has 26 career games with multiple touchdown passes, including 12 with three or more touchdowns and three with four or more.
- Has 16 career games with multi-pass touchdown halves and nine games with multi-pass TD quarterbacks.
- Threw for at least 250 passing yards and three passing touchdowns in eight career games.
- Has six career touchdown passes of 70 yards or more.
- Completed 105 career passes of 20 yards or more.
The Official Davey O’Brien Mid-Season Watch List will be released on Tuesday, October 18 and will contain all active quarterbacks on the pre-season watch list, all players honored as a weekly recipient of the Great 8 in the first seven weeks of the season and any other quarterback. approved by the selection sub-committee.
The midseason watch list will then be whittled down to the 35-man Davey O’Brien QB Class of 2022 on Tuesday, October 25. Fan voting on social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) will again play a role in the Semi-Finalist, Finalist and Winner vote totals when combined with National Selection Committee ballots. . Voting will begin on October 25.
Sixteen semi-finalists selected from the QB class will be named on Tuesday, November 8. The Foundation will announce the three finalists two weeks later (Monday, November 21). The winner of the 2022 Davey O’Brien Award will be revealed live on ESPN on Thursday, December 8, during the Home Depot College Football Awards.
For more information on Nittany Lion Club membership and reserving new season tickets for the 2022 Penn State Football season presented by PSECU, as well as club seating at Beaver Stadium, fans can visit www.PSUnrivaled .com, call 1-800-NITTANY weekdays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
More than 5,300 new subscriptions have already been sold for the 2022 campaign.